Gloriana begins its 2015 concert series with a programme of much-loved works for the Easter season.
Allegri’s Miserere is one of the most celebrated of all sacred choral works. Tippett’s Five Negro Spirituals, taken from his oratorio A Child of our Time, reflects the transience of life, while reinforcing the plight of all persecuted people.
Sheppard’s Media vita, in its dimensions and expressive power, is one of the most imposing works of the sixteenth century. James MacMillan’s Tenebrae Responsories — here receiving their Melbourne premiere — are superb settings of the Holy Week texts.
The programme also features music by Tallis, Byrd, Poulenc and others.
Join us for the first concert of our 2015 concert season.
2.30pm Sunday, 12 April 2015
Sacred Heart Catholic Church cnr of Rathdowne and Pelham Streets, Carlton
- Thomas Tallis (c.1505-1585) Why fum’th in fight
- William Byrd (1543-1623) Ne irascaris Domine
- Antonio Caldara (1670-1736) Crucifixus à 16
- Francis Poulenc (1899-1963) Quatre motets pour un temps de pénitence
- Sir Michael Tippett (1905-1998) Five Negro Spirituals from A Child Of Our Time
- Gregorio Allegri (c.1582-1652) Miserere
- James Macmillan (b1959) Tenebrae Responsories
- John Sheppard (c.1515-1558) Media vita
Tickets: Pre-purchased: $30 (available for collection at the door 30 minutes prior). On the day: $35 at the door. Student rush $15.
Phone bookings: 03 8319 0942
EFT: Beautiful Noises Pty Ltd BSB: 013 017 Account: 270 481 692
Please advise us of your transfer by email or on 03 8319 0942
Cheques payable to:
Beautiful Noises Pty Ltd, 18 Yanigin Dve, Glen Waverley 3150. Please attach your name and phone number with your cheque.